Saturday, December 14, 2013

Post Exam

Finally done with exams! I hate exams. I hate how it makes me feel. I hate how it turns me into a person who no one would want to be around with. Every time during exam season, I will cut off verbal communication with human unwittingly. I remember back in Dublin, during our 2nd year winter exam, I even rented a bicycle so that I can avoid meeting people on the free shuttle bus to exam hall. I am just not in the mood to talk. 3 days ago, before our ENT slide osce exam, one of my colleague tried to start a small talk, i guess after seeing my tensed expression.

S: Amboi..pakai kasut kulit harimau!
Me: *look at him, and look back down*
R: Dia tak nak layan hang...nervous tu. 
S: Rilek...rilek. Bawak bertenang, boleh dengar pulsatile tinnitus tu ha.
Me: *Buat tak tau.*

Poor guy. I don't even talk to my housemates during exam season. Anyway, I think I screwed my Ophthal OSCE very badly yesterday. Padan muka sapa suruh tak tidur cukup and tak breakfast before exam. I got a nuclear cataract with glaucoma case, which I am supposed to pass with flying colours because I've been revising those chapters over and over again since it is the bread and butter of Ophthalmology. But during VIVA session, I went blank. I know most of the answer to the questions given by examiners, but somehow I was unable to translate them into words. One of the question was about management of post-cataract surgery endophthalmitis. One of it is to give intravitreal antibiotic administration. But I was unable to pop that answer out, I was so desperate I actually pointed my index finger to my eye trying to signal intravitreal injection. *Facepalm* I am almost certain I flunk this one because as I walk out the room when my exam was done, I overheard the examiners talking, "She knows the answer, but she's having mental block."

She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block. She's having mental block.

Those words echoed in my mind for the whole day. 

The night after the exam, I happened to share a lift with my new neighbour (a cute Chines guy with braces who looks strangely familiar) on my way down to throw away a box. Must be one of the doctors in Penang GH. So I tried being friendly (or rather menggatal because being friendly is not quite my traits lol), secara berbasa basi I tried to initiate a conversation.

Me: You just moved in, is it?
Cute Chines guy: Yeah. You look very familiar.
Me: You are a doctor in PGH right? *ohh ohhh a cute Chinese doctor remember me? Blushes*
Cute Chines guy: And you are PMC student from surgery OSCE?

Okay....Terus flashback my 1st surgery OSCE 4 months ago, a haematuria history taking station examined by one of the most  formidable surgeon in PGH - Mr. Nara. I met that cute Chines guy there, he was a houseman officer acting as a patient during that exam. He was eating sandwich while I clerked him, but was very nice to give me hints when ever Mr. Nara was not looking. 

They say one is only remembered for either the right reason (e.g. Nelson Mandela) or the wrong reason. And of course he remembered me pretty well for the wrong reason - I performed badly in that particular OSCE station. 

Terus rasa nak sorok kepala dalam kotak yang ada di tangan. Hahhhh that was embarrassing! What a 'good way' to end a day after performing badly in Ophthal OSCE earlier in the morning. 

2 comments:

  1. ur cute! haha. and yes i do the same thing *cutting verbal communication during study week exam week* and i think its bad for myself.

    need to change huuuuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's bad. but it tends to happen without you even realizing it, right? Like we have no control at all over our mind.

      Delete