So when i decided i want to do medicine and be a doctor, the question "why you want to be a doctor?" is a must-answer-question in every interview - scholarship interview, university entrance interview, and even specialist in hospital will make you answer this question every once in a while.
I can't remember what was my answer to that question back then (most probably because it was never an honest and sincere answer), but all I know is I definitely want to be a doctor and work in hospital. I've heard people saying that we shouldn't worry if we have no answer to that question when we start studying medicine because before we graduate, we will finally have a reason of our own.
Now that I'm in my final year of medicine, I think I may have found the answer. And I am ready to blurt this out when ever people pop out that question.
"Why Medicine?"
"Because I get to see different walks of life."
"And why is that so important to you?"
"Most people think of doctors being in the higher strata. I don't think we are, but sometimes we tend to accept it subconsciously. Especially when we are in hospital, looking busy, donning that white coat with stethoscope around our neck. Meeting different walks of life pulls me back to the ground, humbling me in every possible way. Not only because I'm a doctor, but because as human, we all need that."
Currently I am doing Emergency Medicine rotation. I remembered one of the HO asking us to just go back on a Friday afternoon. It was 4pm. Most people would just skip Friday afternoon and go out have fun, watch movie, go have dinner at some expensive restaurant, etc.
HO1: aiyaaa..you all go back la. You got no life meh?!
HO2: ya laa..go back. go back.
Haha...well maybe it's true that I don't really have a life. I'm a home person, I don't go out that much. But I like being around in hospital. Not that I'm kiasu or anything, but I just love being there observing people's behaviour and if I am lucky enough, I'll find myself conversing with a stranger, listening to story of their life.
I miss Al, the shoulder to cry on, without having to say anything.
And I miss UCD.
No comments:
Post a Comment